Friday, March 23, 2012

Gallager's Pide


M.K. McClintock


McClintock was born on the west coast, but after less than eight years she left with her family to the Rocky Mountains. After more adventures around the country, business college and culinary school, McClintock found a place to call home in Montana. 
"I've always loved books and spent more hours reading through school than any other activity. I wrote stories when I was younger and even tried my hand at a novel. It wasn't very good and I shelved the idea for years." She pulled the ideas off the shelf and began working on her first novel, Gallagher's Pride, the first in an historical series about a ranching family in Montana. 
Over the years McClintock traveled the country and visited magnificent Scotland. She dreams of a time when life was simpler, the land rougher and the journey more rewarding. With her heart deeply rooted in the past and her mind always on adventure, McClintock still calls Montana home. McClintock is also the author of Alaina Claiborne, the first of her British Agent novels. She is currently at work on her next book.’
Title – Gallaher's Pride
Genre – Western Romance
Format – Print & Ebook
Purchase Links -

Brenna Cameron travels from Scotland after losing someone she loves in search of family she didn't know existed. Alone now in the world, Brenna makes an arduous journey, following the trail of discovery to Briarwood, Montana. Here she meets Ethan Gallagher, and the rest of the Gallagher clan. Only with their help is she able to discover lost family, heal old wounds and embark on a treacherous confrontation with a man who destroyed her family. As head of the Gallagher clan, Ethan has more than enough to occupy his thoughts and time-he didn't need the complication of Brenna Cameron and he certainly didn't need the trouble that came with her. Ethan takes on the unwanted duty of self-appointed protector to the headstrong Scot, only to discover there is such a thing as second chances and more to life than revenge.

Excerpt One
It seemed almost impossible that Brenna was standing in the middle of a dusty street on a brisk autumn morning thousands of miles from everything she had ever known and treasured. Almost impossible, but not quite for there she was in the town of Briarwood in Montana Territory. It had been an arduous journey at best. The seemingly never ending crossing of the Atlantic, the miles of train tracks, the stink of unwashed people the farther from civilization she got, and the rattling stage ride. But this is where her grandfather lived. Or so the telegrams she received months past had indicated. 
It had not taken long to discover the whereabouts of Nathan Hunter. Once Brenna had arrived on Boston’s soil, a place so foreign to the country existence she loved, she had sent telegrams to the postmarked address in Texas from where Nathan Hunter’s last letter was sent. A reply arrived less than two days later informing her that Nathan Hunter had left Texas. He had moved to the Montana Territory some years back. A dozen more telegrams and the services of a costly private detective later, and she had found him. 
If Brenna’s mind had not been filled with questions and worries, perhaps she would have better appreciated the grandeur of the place she now stood. Mountains the likes of which she had never seen jutted upward from the earth. So different from home, for those in Scotland were mere hills compared to the towering peaks surrounding the valley, which seemed to stretch farther than she could see. The fresh pine scented air reminded her of the long walks she used to take with her father back home, when she would pick bundles of heather for her mother. Blue skies so vast there was no end to the journey an eagle could take. Wildness and beauty unlike anything she’d ever imagined surrounded her. 
Excerpt Two
Are you out of your mind?” The words tumbled from her mouth before she could stop them, but he had gone and truly shocked her. 
“No actually I’m not. It’s your safety I’m thinking of,” replied Ethan, more to himself than her. He loosened the hold on her arm. 
Brenna let out an exasperated sigh, something her mother had always tried to discourage, and said, “I do appreciate your kindness, Mr. Gallagher...” 
“Ethan.” 
“…Ethan, but I’m certainly not the type of woman to just go home with two men whether I know them or not. It would be highly inappropriate, not to mention stupid.” 
“And you’re not stupid.” 
“Not as far as I can tell,” Brenna said with fire in her eyes. She rarely ever took offense at what people said, too comfortable in her own skin to care, but this man riled her and he did it effortlessly.
Excerpt Three
He was tired of waiting. Six days now he’d been camped out here and had nearly been caught by one of the Hawk’s Peak hands. He would’ve given up and ridden back to the ranch if he didn’t think his boss would take a whip to him. Why he was elected as watch when his boss found out the pair left the ranch was beyond him. He waited and waited until finally he saw two riders coming through the trees west of his hiding spot. He mounted his horse and rode just a little closer. The rider waited until he was sure it was the Scot who rode in with Gallagher. Once satisfied, he raced his mount up and over the crest and rode hard back to the ranch. 
His boss was waiting for him on his front porch smoking a clean cheroot. 
“Did you see them?” 
“Oh yes, they just rode in, both of them.” 
“From which direction?” 
“North.” 
“The only place north of here is Bright River.” 
“Yes sir, unless you go way north and that would’ve taken them a whole lot longer.” 
“Well done Bradford,” the older man said tossing the man a small pouch. The gold jingled bringing a smile to the rider’s lips. Those cold nights hadn’t been a waste after all. 
“Why don’t you go and find one of the girls. Have a good night, you’ve earned it.” 
“Thank you sir.” 
“Oh Bradford, just be ready to ride out again.” 
The rider nodded and headed to the bunk house. His thoughts turned to the pretty Scot staying over at the Gallagher’s spread. He licked his lips thinking how much fun she was going to be. He pulled the skinny pale girl with the red stringy hair out of her bunk and dragged her to his own. She was a poor substitute, but she’d have to do until he could get on top of Gallagher’s whore.
Excerpt Four
“Where did you sleep last night?” 
“On my bedroll.” 
Oh God, why was she not surprised he had said that. 
“But there are only two and I had them both when I woke up.” 
He looked at her and nodded, “True.” 
She really wanted to throw that pot of coffee at him. 




GUEST POST:
Finding the Social Media Balance
By MK McClintock
It used to just be about the writing. As writers, we put words on paper and a story begins to unfold. Without the writing, the books cease to exist and readers are left with the task of finding a new pastime because books are no more. There are moments in this modern world when I feel as though it has become more about the social media marketing of an author than about the time they spend actually writing. Long-established authors have a bit more luxury when it comes to avoiding the social media frenzy and I often envy them that. 
I’ll just come out and say it – social media and I are not friends. I can’t quite pinpoint when this mutual dislike began, but it was long before I began writing. When I wrote my first book and published that book, all I wanted to do was sit back down and write the next. I knew there would be some necessary marketing, some book tours, keeping a blog - all things I’ve come to enjoy. What I didn’t factor into my closely guarded and well-organized schedule, is the time apparently needed to navigate and conquer the social media world and it seems as though I face a constant battle with myself on a daily basis. 
So, I had to ask myself - How do I find the balance between doing what I love (writing) and doing what seems to be necessary but takes time away from what I love (social media)? Then I had to ask – How do I find the balance between doing what I love (writing) and still interacting with my readers (something I enjoy)? These are my thoughts… 
Social Media – An Author’s Balance
I realized after that first book came out that social media was a necessary evil. Now don’t get me wrong – I know many, many authors who thrive on social media – I’m not one of them. After using Goodreads (borderline social media), I finally caved and opened a Twitter account and I’ll be the first to admit that it was a wise choice. I’ve had the opportunity to reach such a wide audience of writers and readers-something I wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise. Triberr is another tool I came to see as worthwhile and one I’ve also found useful in reaching literally thousands and for authors, that’s a big deal. 
I’ve also come to realize that my social media conquering had to end there. As a writer, I must write. I must put those words onto the paper or I would cease to be a writer. So, how do I find that balance? I’ve had to learn to set aside a small window of time early in the morning to cover all of my social media bases. This means that it takes me longer to reach out, but I do get there and more important, I still have time to do what makes publishing those books possible – writing. 
As an author (clarify – as a new author), I believe there is an extreme pressure to make ourselves readily available in cyber-space. Reach the readers, converse with other writers, keep everyone updated on what you’re doing – all great things. But somewhere in the midst of all that ‘exposure’ we’re leaving out the most important part – finding the time to write. 
Social Media – A Reader’s Compassion
Let’s face it - the social media is for the readers. You are the reason we do this (outside of our personal enjoyment of course). You are the reason we work so hard to put out the next book. You’re also the reason we venture into cyber-space. We want to connect with you, know what you think, discover what you want to read, hear your thoughts – the buck quite literally stops with you. 
For many of us writers, writing is fun, but there’s a catch – we have to write. We have to find that balance between connecting with our readers and writing the books our readers want. When you ask us – ‘When is the next book coming out?’ we’re sometimes thinking ‘Hopefully in the next decade’. You’re the reason we write. Without readers, we would have no real purpose as authors. No one would read our books and all those long hours we put into our manuscripts, would be for naught. 
So how do we find a balance? For each writer, it is different. Some cannot take any time for social media. Others find that they would rather spend hours at it and worry about the next book later. Whatever a writer’s method, whatever their balance, we appreciate our readers. Whether we make online twenty times a day or twice a day, our readers are right there in our thoughts. 
Writers – it is all about the words. We’ve heard it time and time again – to be a writer, one must write. It is really that simple. 




Giveaway - There will be a Giveaway for 3 print copies at the end of the tour - Open to US only, Ebook for Int'l.

Schedule:

February 20 - Meet & Greet at VBT Cafe' Blog
February 27 - Guest Blogging at AZ Publishing Services phultstrand
February 29 - Interviewed at Reviews & Interviews lisa at lisajjackson
March 6 - Reviewed at E-reading on the Cheap caitlavender
March 8 - Guest Blogging at Speculative Friction nephys
March 12 - Interviewed at BK Media Entertainment
March 14 - Guest Blogging at This Author's Life gibson.jessicaj
March 16 - Review & Interview at Hardcover Feedback megan at hardcover
March 19 - Guest Blogging at Wise Words wiselouise
March 21 - Guest Blogging with Natalie Nicole Bates natalienicolebates
March 23 - Guest Blogging with Ami Blackwelder touch-of-grace
March 28 - Interviewed by Louise James louisejames157
March 30 - Interviewed at Unnecessary Musings bms.beard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!