Monday, March 5, 2012

Bio/Guest Post/Excerpt from author Wendy Hales - Immortal Becoming





Wendy S. Hales

During my hectic life of working and raising children the call of a story in my mind was not always welcome. The niggling character or plot that refused to leave my thoughts until I would sit down a write something … a synopsis, character profile, anything to relieve the creative pressure. With my children grown, and my husbands loving support I dove head first into the depths of my passion and lifelong dream … writing. It was like a floodgate opened in my soul. 
I look out at the Rocky Mountain from my window in Utah. I have been blessed with an amazing family and wonderful friends. My husband and I own a small local coffee shop. I enjoy boating golfing, reading and spending time with my family.
Title – Immortal Becoming
Genre – Paranormal/Fantasy Romance
Format – Ebook
Paperback Release – March 1, 2012
Purchase Links-
Website – www.wendyshales.com 
Debut Author



I know so many people that will hang in with a book that moves along like cold molasses. Sometimes they end up loving the story... eventually. Other times they reach the end and feel disappointed. That doesn't work for me. I can't just read a book to read a book. I have to devour them. If the pacing has me skimming paragraphs and dialog, the thrill of what comes next is not there. I reach a point where I close it with no desire to pick it up again.
Maybe the story gets better, who knows. Maybe I'll miss a fantastic read... if only I had finished. Writing is the same... if I'm not interested in the scene I'm writing I'll just stop. Give it a rest. Shift POV. Return to the last spot I felt the exhilaration of flow and see what happens. I keep a handy dandy file in every story named: Book title discarded text. (Nope delete is not an option).
In Immortal Becoming Shane gets on his knees to propose. I had it in my head for Jess to accept. I wrote and re-wrote and re-wrote her acceptance for days but it never felt right. With a heavy heart I then tried to see if she would reject his proposal. That didn’t work either. After bashing my head on my desk for a week I shoved it aside and moved on to a different character. The flow of that line revealed the solution of the proposal within a few thousand words. Voila’. The proposal got interrupted.
When I read about a character walking down a flight of stairs the mental image is not interesting unless there's something at the bottom, they run into hero/heroine/antagonist along the way or the character trips and ass-plants somehow.  I strive to reflect the pacing that works for me and keep the readers attention.
Do you finish a book no matter what? Or lay it aside?
 
Wendy S. Hales


Shane Einar is a five hundred year old Volaticus Elven warrior, sworn to duty and honor. His species has inhabited the earth since the beginning of time. The sources of vampire, elf and fairy myths, Volaticus are in reality something altogether different. He never expected to meet Jess Reed. A female living amongst humanity completely unaware that she is Hulven, a human/Elven hybrid race of Volaticus, or that she is on the cusp of Becoming into her Elven traits. Shane should turn Jess over to the Symbiosis of Species Council, SOSC. His attraction to her along with her ability to enrapture him with a smile bars him from it. He rightly suspects that this female is his bloodmate.

Jess had always been psychic, a painful and confusing fact of her life. With Shane’s loving support she learns to control her abilities and discovers the psychically enlightened species that share this world.

Together they sacrifice the power of their bloodmating in the battle to save females from breeding cages under the control of an Elven rogue. 
Excerpts:

Giving her an encouraging smile, he continued. “You are a hybrid between Elven and human. Have you ever heard of a liger—half tiger, half lion?” She nodded hesitantly. “One of your parents was full Elven, and the other would have to be either a Hulven, like you,” adding emphasis so she could get used to the term, “or one of the rare human females who has the genetics to be able to breed with an Elven male. We call them Heredity.”
“Holy shit, I really am a freak of nature.” Tears sprung into her eyes.
“You are prefect, damn it. You ever say anything like that again and I will put you over my knee and spank your sweet little ass till you like it. You understand me?” Shane’s dentes had erupted. How could she even think such a thing? She was the greatest gift ever created.
Jess swallowed audibly, lifting her chin and squaring her shoulders. He sat in awe, watching her fortify herself. Freak of nature she’d called herself. Never. She was a force of nature.
“That Hulven thing is not possible. I knew both of my parents. My mother was like me. She and I could telepathically communicate for as long as I can remember. My father, no way.” She was shaking her head, trying to dismiss the idea.
Shane glanced at her hands, which were wringing in her lap, the only outward sign of her agitation. He’d known this argument would come up. “I have been thinking on that. I don’t think the man you know is your biological father.” Using the vulnerability of her shield, he tried to hedge the probability into her mind.
“Stop that!” she snapped, responding to his mental prod and not liking it. Her shield solidified, shutting him out. “God, just give me a minute.” She stood and marched to the stone entry. “Open it,” she demanded.
He emphasized the pulse of kinetic energy, letting her feel the sensation of the surge. The stone slid forward and to the side slightly.

4 comments:

  1. Life is too short to keep reading a book that starts to suck.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best books capture you on the first page and allow you to fall in love with the characters as you read. Immortal Becoming and Wendy's second book, Shadow Revealed are the kind of books that you either love or hate the characters, offers intrigue that leaves you thinking of what will happen, and offers a story that keeps you reading until the last page. There have been so many books that I have left unfinished because I cannot attach to the story or characters. Immortal Becoming I read in one day, then read it again. I have been assisting Wendy on her second book and ended up with less that 8 hours of sleep over the weekend, because I could not put it down either. An author who can describe characters that you care about, that can make you laugh, or make you cry has an amazing gift; and Wendy, you are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I honestly never thought I'd be interested in paranormal romance up until a year ago I never thought I'd open one of those kind of books but a good friend named..... Wendy had me read celebration I think it was book 15 of the carpathian series and here I am today a faithful addict of the paranormal romance genre! But I was lucky to start with some pretty great authors cause I have since read some books that if I would have started with them would of never picked up a book again!!! And on a kinky note I never thought I would ever want someone to bite me but that's changed!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!