Saturday, December 31, 2016

Author a Day, Part 9

MARISSA MARCHAN

Bio: Marissa Marchan is a Child Support case manager by day, a creative writer by night. She is the author of two children's books and her inspiration for the story came from her then-eight-year-old grandson, Ray Angelo. He pulled her through the most difficult time in her life. He gave her the strength and courage to move on with her life after her sister’s death. Since then, she has continued to pursue her writing career and has written two books in the Spoiled Brats series.
Novel Link:
My Runaway Bride
My Amnesia Girl
Genre you write - Romance, Children's Book
Questions:
How do you deal with writer's block? (Marissa) 

My cure for writer’s block is to step away from my computer, and I’ll start watching my favorite shows or movies in my pajamas all day: Psych, Monk, Harry Potter films, Columbo, Matlock and Murder, She Wrote. Why? Doing the things that I absolutely love to do like watching my favorite sitcoms or movies makes me feel alive and energized. That’s the way I get my inspiration.



GREG MERITT

Bio: Greg Meritt is the youngest of three children. He was born in Everett, Washington, and grew up in the Pacific Northwest. He has been a restaurant manager, a landscaper, a purchasing agent, and salesman. 
As a young person in middle school, Greg became hooked on stories after reading Stephen King's "The Stand", and has been reading voraciously ever since.
In 2012, he began writing his own stories and in early 2013, his short story "The Attic" was chosen out of 5,300 entries for inclusion in "The Writer’s Digest Short, Short Story Competition."
Greg has written over thirty short stories and a novella. The Adoption is his debut novel. Greg lives in Kent, WA with his lovely wife, three adopted children and a crazy dog.
Genre: I tend to write in the thriller/suspense genre (with a hint of horror), but I’ve also written some short literary fiction.
Questions:
What’s the one piece of advice you’d give someone wanting to write? Get a thick skin. (Jenny)
How do you approach your stories; do you plan everything out before starting, or are you more a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of a person? Fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants. I’ve never been a plotter. (Steve)
Of all your characters, do you have a favorite? Yes, Sylvia Tran, from “The Adoption”. (Luke)
How long did it take you to write your most recent book(s)? About 8 months. (Joy)
What motivated you to write your novel? My adopted children and this thought: “What if the adoption turns out to be preplanned and not anything like we expected?” (Ami)
Name three favorite authors and why they impress you. Stephen King, Gillian Flynn, Dean Koontz. The stories are always intriguing and I’m always wondering what is going to happen next. I love suspense. (Kay)
Would you rather set your story in a place and time you are familiar with, or would you rather research a totally different setting? Place and time I’m familiar with. To be honest, I don’t care for research; I’d rather write. (Ruth)
Do you have any little writing rituals or quirks? Door closed, no internet, no phone, no people. I don’t have nor require anything else E.g. an object you have to have on your desk, a particular drink or snack. (Liz)
How do your own experiences influence what you write? Quite a lot, actually. In my debut novel, The Adoption, I pull a lot from my own home life experience and then tweak it to be a little different.  Logan has a lot of my own values and beliefs. (Bill)
If you were a ninja with a vendetta to whom would it be? OR If you had to throw something into mount Doom to save the world, what would it be? I would throw HATRED into mount Doom. We all just need to get along! OR If you had a group of celebrities to plan the perfect heist who would they be and what would you be after? (Aaron) (Sorry, I left all three of Aaron’s in because they were hard! Pick one or all.)
How do you deal with writer's block? I grab a blank page and just start writing anything…even gibberish. This usually gets things flowing again. If not, I don’t force it but go on about my day, take long walks, exercise, etc. But I always try and write something daily.  (Marissa)
What is your favorite part of the writing process? (i.e. first draft, editing, etc...) First draft, I do not care for the editing part! I just love when the story is unfolding in front of me for the first time and even I don’t know what’s going to happen or what the characters are going to do. (Greg)
If you were stranded on a deserted island with only one book, what would it be? (Ominbuses,  complete works, and how to books are forbidden!) (Laura) The Stand (Uncut), by Stephen King.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!