Thursday, July 5, 2012

SongBird Interview & Indie Special Guest


Book title: Songbird
Author: Angela Fristoe
Short Blurb:
There are defining moments in life when everything changes. For Dani Mays, it was the day she witnessed her father kill her brother. Now seventeen, she still hasn't put it behind her.

After Jace's death, she bounced between her alcoholic mother and foster homes until she found a permanent place. And a reason to want to stay: Reece Tyler. He's her best friend, yet Dani wants more from him.

Faced with losing Reece, Dani struggles to define his place in her life and escape the influence the memories of her brother's death have over her choices. Even as she weaves the pieces of her heart back together, the past becomes more than a memory when a former foster brother reappears and Dani begins receiving threatening calls.

Book link:

When did you know you wanted to be an author?

I always loved writing, but never really considered it as a career option until after I finished university. Until then I didn’t even know YA was a genre, but once I started reading YA books I knew I wanted to write my own stories.

Why do you Indie publish?

I love the freedom and control I have over my work by Indie publishing. There’s no delay of a year, waiting for someone to take my book to the next step in the process.

What inspired you to write your book?

I started writing Songbird as part of Nation Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and basically sat down at my computer the first day and wrote as the story came to me. Dani was a character that really just spoke to me. Some of the events Dani experiences are inspired by real life events that happened to people I know.

What are three things you want people to know about you or your book?

1. The “I’ll love you forever” that comes up throughout Songbird actually comes from my Dad. He would always say that to my sister and me after asking us to do something for him.

2. I considered adding in an epilogue to give the reader a look at Dani and Reece in the future, but decided I wanted the reader to decide on their own where they would be.

3. Without my husband nudging me along and constantly reminding me to get off the internet and back to writing I may never have finished Songbird.

What advice do you have for parents to encourage their kids to read more?

Build an appreciation for reading early, and read with your child each day. As they grow up ask them about what they are reading and tell them about what you are reading. Don’t limit their choices by assuming the books they want are low quality. Reading is reading and every word counts. And the best piece of advice I have is to explore your public library. They are a wonderful resource not just for reading, but for building a life long appreciation for literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!