Friday, December 23, 2016

An Author a Day, part 1

M. BLACK (AMI BLACKWELDER)

Bio: M.Black is the pen name of Ami Blackwelder, paranormal author. She graduated from UCF with her BA in English and teaching and has spent ten years traveling the world. She has lived in Thailand, China, and even Korea. All her experiences shape her story telling and give her a deep appreciation for cultures and our world. Find her at http://AmiBlackwelder.blogspot.com and MBlackDystopianThrillers.blogspot.com
Genre: YA SyFy Dystopians
Questions:
What’s the one piece of advice you’d give someone wanting to write? I’d tell them to think of anything else they wold rather be doing, something else they love more and do that. If they are still here, then write. Write. Write. Get something on the page, tweak it. You get better with time and don’t be too hard on yourself. Oh, and have a day job;)
How do you approach your stories; do you plan everything out before starting, or are you more a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of a person? I have a general idea of a story I want to tell. Usually the beginning and ending, but the middle is up for grabs and often characters don’t do what you think they will;) 
Of all your characters, do you have a favorite? Good one. My favorite character must be MACI from Exotiqa. She is a robot and I loved getting inside of her head. This book won’t be out until spring on 2017, but will hit Kindle Scout first;)
How long did it take you to write your most recent book(s)? Simulation is most recent finished book. I just finished Quantum State, but it hasn’t been edited and reedited, and beta-read yet. It took about 3 months as most of my books take. 
What motivated you to write your novel? The idea of the future and how scary it could be if we don’t change our ways.
Name three favorite authors and why they impress you. Gosh, George Lucs, Jane Austen, and Veronica Roth. They all did something amazing. 
Would you rather set your story in a place and time you are familiar with, or would you rather research a totally different setting? I love future settings. 
Do you have any little writing rituals or quirks?  Tea, but that’s not a quirk. Maybe I’m boring? LOL. 
How do you own experiences influence what you write? I think all of my travels and expanded knowledge of cultures can’t help but change my perspective as an author, making me more unique or different from many other authors out there. 
If you had a group of celebrities to plan the perfect heist with who would they be and what would you be after?   Gosh, something really valuable like a grand painting. Maybe Gustaov Klimt’s masterpiece from the perfume giant Estee Lauder. The celebrities would have to a mix of brawn, brains and beauty for distraction. The Rock, Ned the Science Guy, and Claudia Schiffer. 
How do you deal with writer's block? I usually have many ideas and have to settle on one that sticks with me and ferments for a period of time. But if a block does happen, usually watching television or a movie sparks it again.

What is your favorite part of the writing process? I love writing the last sentence of my novel. That is my favorite part. But I also love when the book has been finalized with edits and beta-readers and I’ve perfected to where I want it to be. That’s always a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!